Login | Request Account (DAF staff only)

Modeling chickpea growth and development: Nitrogen accumulation and use

View Altmetrics

Soltani, A., Robertson, M.J. and Manschadi, A.M. (2006) Modeling chickpea growth and development: Nitrogen accumulation and use. Field Crops Research, 99 (1). pp. 24-34.

Full text not currently attached. Access may be available via the Publisher's website or OpenAccess link.

Article Link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2006.02.006

Publisher URL: http://www.elsevier.com


Quantitative information regarding nitrogen (N) accumulation and its distribution to leaves, stems and grains under varying environmental and growth conditions are limited for chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). The information is required for the development of crop growth models and also for assessment of the contribution of chickpea to N balances in cropping systems. Accordingly, these processes were quantified in chickpea under different environmental and growth conditions (still without water or N deficit) using four field experiments and 1325 N measurements. N concentration ([N]) in green leaves was 50 mg g-1 up to beginning of seed growth, and then it declined linearly to 30 mg g-1 at the end of seed growth phase. [N] in senesced leaves was 12 mg g-1. Stem [N] decreased from 30 mg g-1 early in the season to 8 mg g-1 in senesced stems at maturity. Pod [N] was constant (35 mg g-1), but grain [N] decreased from 60 mg g-1 early in seed growth to 43 mg g-1 at maturity. Total N accumulation ranged between 9 and 30 g m-2. N accumulation was closely linked to biomass accumulation until maturity. N accumulation efficiency (N accumulation relative to biomass accumulation) was 0.033 g g-1 where total biomass was -2 and during early growth period, but it decreased to 0.0176 g g-1 during the later growth period when total biomass was >218 g m-2. During vegetative growth (up to first-pod), 58% of N was partitioned to leaves and 42% to stems. Depending on growth conditions, 37-72% of leaf N and 12-56% of stem N was remobilized to the grains. The parameter estimates and functions obtained in this study can be used in chickpea simulation models to simulate N accumulation and distribution.

Item Type:Article
Additional Information:© Elsevier B.V.
Keywords:Chickpea; nitrogen concentration; nitrogen accumulation; simulation model.
Subjects:Science > Biology > Biochemistry
Plant culture > Vegetables
Science > Statistics > Simulation modelling
Live Archive:25 Feb 2009 02:42
Last Modified:03 Sep 2021 16:47

Repository Staff Only: item control page