Login | Request Account (DAF staff only)

Effect of breed of cattle on innate resistance to infection with Babesia bovis, B bigemina and Anaplasma marginale

Share this record

Add to FacebookAdd to LinkedinAdd to XAdd to WechatAdd to Microsoft_teamsAdd to WhatsappAdd to Any

Export this record

View Altmetrics

Bock, R.E., De Vos, A.J. and McLellan, D.J. (1997) Effect of breed of cattle on innate resistance to infection with Babesia bovis, B bigemina and Anaplasma marginale. Australian Veterinary Journal, 75 (5). pp. 337-340. ISSN 0005-0423

Full text not currently attached. Access may be available via the Publisher's website or OpenAccess link.

Article Link: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-0813.1997.tb15706.x


Objective: To assess the innate resistance of naive Bos taurus, Bos taurus cross Bos indicus and Bos indicus cattle to virulent Babesia bovis, B bigemina and Anaplasma marginale parasites.

Design: Groups of 10, pure B indicus, fi B indicus cross,/B indicus cross and pure B taurus steers were infected with virulent B bovis, B bigemina and A marginale parasites.

Procedure: Sequential infections were carried out by intravenous inoculation of infected blood containing 1 times 108 parasites of B bovis, followed by B bigemina and then A marginale. To assess resistance, measurements were made of parasitaemia, rectal temperature, packed cell volume and the number within a group requiring chemotherapy to control infection. There was a recovery period between each infection.

Results: Infection with B bovis showed that pure B indicus steers were significantly more resistant to B bovis infection than the other groups, with none of this group requiring treatment. There was no significant difference between fi B indicus cross and/B indicus cross with 30% and 20%, respectively, of steers in these groups requiring treatment. The pure B taurus steers were significantly more affected then those in the other three groups with 80% requiring treatment. Infections of B bigemina produced a mild response in comparison to that of B bovis and none of the steers required treatment. However, the pure B taurus group was significantly more affected than the other three groups for all other measurements. After the A marginale infection, B indicus steers were moderately affected with 50% requiring treatment, whereas 70% of the fi B indicus group, 80% of the /B indicus cross group and 100% of the pure B taurus group required treatment.

Conclusions: All breeds of cattle, ranging from pure B indicus to pure B taurus may be at risk of severe disease if exposed to virulent A marginale. The results confirm that pure B indicus cattle are relatively resistant to B bovis, but there could be a significant risk of severe mortalities if cross-bred herds are exposed to virulent infection.

Item Type:Article
Subjects:Animal culture > Breeding and breeds
Veterinary medicine > Veterinary epidemiology. Epizootiology
Veterinary medicine > Diseases of special classes of animals > Cattle
Live Archive:26 Mar 2024 04:04
Last Modified:26 Mar 2024 04:04

Repository Staff Only: item control page