Login | Request Account (DAF staff only)

Forecasting regional crop production using SOI phases: An example for the Australian peanut industry

Share this record

Add to FacebookAdd to LinkedinAdd to XAdd to WechatAdd to Microsoft_teamsAdd to WhatsappAdd to Any

Export this record

View Altmetrics

Meinke, H. and Hammer, G. L. (1997) Forecasting regional crop production using SOI phases: An example for the Australian peanut industry. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research, 48 (6). pp. 789-794. ISSN 1836-0947


Article Link: https://doi.org/10.1071/A96155


Using peanuts as an example, a generic methodology is presented to forward-estimate regional crop production and associated climatic risks based on phases of the Southern Oscillation Index (SOI). Yield fluctuations caused by a highly variable rainfall environment are of concern to peanut processing and marketing o/Southern bodies the industtry could profitable to adjust their operations stategically. Significantly , physically based lag-relationships exist between an index of ocean/atmospher EI Niño/southern Oscillation phenomenon and future rainfall in Australia and elsewhere. Combining knowledge of SOI phases in November and December with output from a dynamic simulation model allows the derivation of yield probability distributions based on historic rainfall data. This information is available shortly after planting a crop and at least 3-5 months prior to harvest. The study shows that in years when the November-December SOI phase is positive there is an 80% chance of exceeding average district yields. Conversely, in years when the November-December SOI phase is either negative or rapidly falling there is only a 5% chance of exceeding average district yields, but a 95% chance of below average yields. This information allows the industry to adjust strategically for the expected volume of production. The study shows that simulation models can enhance SOI signals contained in rainfall distributions by discriminating between useful and damaging rainfall events. The methodology can be applied to other industries and regions.

Item Type:Article
Keywords:crop model, simulation, climate forecast
Subjects:Science > Statistics > Simulation modelling
Agriculture > Agriculture (General) > Agricultural meteorology. Crops and climate
Plant culture > Field crops > Other economic plants
Live Archive:19 Mar 2024 02:58
Last Modified:19 Mar 2024 02:58

Repository Staff Only: item control page


Downloads per month over past year

View more statistics