Campbell, M.J. and Campbell, A.B. and Officer, R.A. and O’Neill, M.F. and Mayercer, D.G. and Thwaites, A. and Jebreen, E.J. and Courtney, A.J. and Gribble, N. and Lawrence, M.L. and Prosser, A.J. and Drabsch, S.L. (2010) Harvest strategy evaluation to optimise the sustainability and value of the Queensland scallop fishery. Queensland scallop fishery - FRDC Project No 2006/024 Final Report. Project Report. State of Queensland.
PDF (Harvest strategy evaluation to optimise the sustainability and value of the Queensland scallop fishery)
Article Link(s): http://www.frdc.com.au/research/Final_Reports/2006...
1. Measure spatial and temporal trawl frequency of scallop grounds using VMS data. This will provide a relative measure of how often individual undersized scallops are caught and put through a tumbler
2. Estimate discard mortality and growth rates for saucer scallops using cage experiments.
3. Evaluate the current management measures, in particular the seasonal closure, rotational closure and seasonally varying minimum legal sizes using stock assessment and management modeling models. Recommend optimal range of management measures to ensure long-term viability and value of the Scallop fishery based on a formal management strategy evaluation.
Outcomes acheived to date:
1. Improved understanding of the survival rates of discarded sub-legal scallops;
2. Preliminary von Bertalanffy growth parameters using data from tagged-and-released scallops;
3. Changing trends in vessels and fishing gear used in the Queensland scallop fishery and their effect on scallop catch rates over time using standardised catch rates quantified;
4. Increases in fishing power of vessels operating in the Queensland scallop fishery quantified;
5. Trawl intensity mapped and quantified for all Scallop Replenishment Areas;
6. Harvest Strategy Evaluations completed.
|Item Type:||Monograph (Project Report)|
|Funders:||Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation (formerly the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries), Fisheries Research and Development Corporation, Federal Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, jointly funded by the Australian Government and the fishing industry.|
|Corporate Creators:||Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation (DEEDI), Fisheries Research and Development Corporation|
|Additional Information:||© Copyright Fisheries Research and Development Corporation and the State of Queensland, Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation, 2010. This work is copyright. Except as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth), no part of this publication may be reproduced by any process, electronic or otherwise, without the specific written permission of the copyright owners. Information may not be stored electronically in any form whatsoever without such permission.|
|Keywords:||Final report; Scallops; Amusium balloti; population distribution; seasonal abundance; seasonal variation; sustainability; monitoring; grading; mortality; growth; harvest strategy evaluation; Scallop Replenishment Area; spatial closure; fishery resources; fishery management; Queensland.|
|Subjects:||Aquaculture and Fisheries > Fisheries > Fishery management. Fishery policy|
Aquaculture and Fisheries > Fisheries > Shellfish fisheries
|Deposited On:||21 Nov 2011 06:33|
|Last Modified:||21 Nov 2016 04:35|
Repository Staff Only: item control page